Monday, February 9, 2015

I am Unqualified

For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.  (NIV)

"He gave His" grace.  He gave the world unmerited favor.  He gave the world something it didn't deserve. "The world" became eligible by simply by being created by a God who "so loved".  The Creator not only made a perfect creation, but made the creature as well.  He then did what only His character can do: He "so loved" His creation.    The world did nothing but turn away from a perfect creation and a perfect Creator that loves perfectly.

So many people get hung up on how can a Creator who loves tell His chosen people to attack and kill an enemy.  Not only just to kill the enemy but to kill every man, woman, child and animal in the enemies camp.  Or, they say a loving God would not allow someone to be blind or, lame; or a loving God would not allow a Christian to suffer or be beheaded by those following evil; or, a loving God wouldn't let some injustice somewhere against someone to happen.

To say these things is to promote oneself to be a judge.  How can one evaluate the true love of a Creator unless one completely understands the full depths of love itself?  How can one evaluate the justice of a God unless one completely understands the depths of right and wrong / good and evil / every person's past and future?  No single person alive could possibly be capable of such things!

The humble truth is I am incapable of telling you the depth of my own love, much less someone else's.  I can say most confidently that I do not truly know what is best for me regarding my own growth in this area.  Should I get struck with a disease?  Be in a car wreck?  Lose a loved one?  Be given a little?  Or be given a lot?  I really can't answer that with absolute confidence as to which would provide me the clearest and best heart that would choose a great faith and desire for God.  This is the only observation that truly matters.  What is necessary to provide me the best avenue for a greater faith and greater desire for God?  The same question applies to every other single person in "the world".  And that is for myself.  How can I possible evaluate a whole nation?

I do know that I will be blessed.  God will bless me.  Any of the above scenarios that result in my increased faith and desire for God is a blessing.  I can be sure that God is working for me and I should thank Him in it.  Any other thought, no matter how tempting, is not of faith.  Obviously, this is much easier to write and say than to live.  Anyone in such a place should be greatly encouraged by those of us who know and see the truth since it is so easy to forget when you are there.

If I, admittingly, do not know the depths of love, then how can I know right from wrong or good from evil.  These concepts are borne from love itself.  If I do not know God I cannot possibly know these ideals since "God is love".  Any evaluation of mine to instructions or results or directions of God are then completely meaningless and any thought of dignity that I have in believing that I have any say so with regard to these is quite insane.

I am unqualified.

No comments: