Sunday, February 8, 2015

America's Future?

not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. (‭Hebrews‬ ‭10‬:‭25‬ NIV)

On Friday as the Air Attaché to Belgium was driving us back from a meeting with the Belgian Air Force, we were inquiring about which churches were connected with all the beautiful spires we were seeing.  He corrected our thinking stating that the largest and most of the ones we could see were in fact government or former government buildings.  He went on to add that in spite of a large number of old church buildings in the region, only a small few ever really attended and that those that do are almost exclusively elderly.  Essentially he was saying the church is dead in Europe or at least in Belgium.
Some quick, unverified research on the Internet confirms his assessment with only 7% of Belgians claiming regular church attendance.  This compares favorably to low percentages in Russia (2%), Finland, Denmark, and Norway (5%), and France at 12%.  This is in stark contrast to 89% in Nigeria (highest regular church attendance among all nations) which is a split nation that is roughly 50/50 Muslim and Christian as I understand it.
America is a middle-of-the-road nation with just 39% claiming to regularly attend church and for many years was in decline.  Recent surveys show some stability on those numbers which I'm sure are higher for our Bible Belt southern states.
I was stung by the Attache's statement and the results of my quick research and can only look at myself as being at fault.  I believe that it if people saw a real difference in Christians, these numbers would increase and the trends reversed.  How is my life boldly proclaiming the advantages of my relationship with Christ?  How are people moved to follow me in devoted service to Christ?  I believe those who are closest to me clearly see Christ in me, or at least they've told me so, but these are the 39%. How am I reaching out to those with whom I'm not quite as close boldly proclaiming the richness of a Purpose driven life?  The statistics show that I am not nor are very many others either.  I realize that I am not the Savior and cannot convert, but am convinced that a life lived as a bold testimony cannot be ignored.
Lord forgive my lack of courage and boldness.  You boldly went to the cross in spite of the cruelty of those that hung you that day and those of us who continue to hang you today because of a life lived in spiritual cowardice or indifference to the lost. May you break me and remake me into the representative you need in an apathetic world.  May I quit doing church or going to church and boldly be your church to all those you place in my path. May my church lose its infatuation with meetings, programs, and processes and boldly connect with those under the shadow of its steeple and give us a clear testimony to share that honors and glorifies you and inspires others to seek you.  May we quit competing with other congregations and join in carrying your yoke so that our entire city and south end of the county is confronted with and convinced of the limitless bounds of your love and grace.  May I not be part of a church in decline, but step out in bold leadership to allow you to build your church.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Seems like I remember the guy we support in New York saying church attendance in New York City was around 2%. I find it easy to admit to myself that: 1) Church attendance has been in a slow decline for years; 2) Church services have lost some of its fire; 3) There is a much smaller number of young people that believe they should attend church.