Thursday, February 26, 2015

Busy, Busy, Busy

Yesterday and this morning I sit almost unable to move due to the high volume of things that must get done.  My mind has struggled to get a handle on how to maneuver for everyone's best interest.  The business people will say that it is good because it means you're making money, but what they don't know is I really don't care about making money.  Maybe I should care, but money is just an idol that has effectively proven it can take you away from focusing on God.  What I do care about is spending time with my wife, my kids, and being wherever God purposes for me to be.  Everyone else can just go to the next guy for an answer.

One author said that "Satan may be the Prince of Darkness, but he is also the Duke of Distraction."

Romans 12:2 says, "Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God."  Did I read that right?  Did Paul just say that "I" may prove what is the ... will of God?  I can be transformed by renewing my mind and not conform to this world?  Whoa!

I think this verse is saying, of all the times it can be important to stop and study, the times when the world is on every side with its emergencies and urgencies it is really trying to conform you, so the only real emergency is to renew your mind; reassure yourself in your faith; restore your trust in the Lord of creation; reemphasize God's power over all time and material.  In so doing God's perfect will of character will come out of you in the midst of a spiritually immature and selfish world.

In Luke 10, Martha rushed around doing many things as she was distracted at all the preparations that had to be made.  So she complained to Jesus asking Him to tell her sister to help.  Jesus responded saying there is only one thing that should demand her attention and her sister was focused on it - that thing is Him.  

Philippians 4:6-7 says, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

If we will simply focus on the One important person in our life, He will take Lordship of all the other parts of our life.  Whatever falls away needed to fall away; whatever grows and increases needed to grow and increase; it is for Him to decide as He directs and influences me and all those in contact with me.  As I focus on Him, His peace will settle in and guard.  And if He is standing over my heart and mind, evil will flee from me.

No comments: