Thursday, February 26, 2015

Struggling

Romans 7:15New International Version (NIV)
15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Usually, devotions flow fairly freely.  Lately I've struggled.  I don't know why.  I don't feel "distant" from God.  I have been quite busy, had some early appointments, and have some other excuses.  Regardless, I've been busy before, but have always seem to have a devotion on my mind that flows quite freely when I discipline myself to sit down and put thoughts into writing.  Recently, I've just been a little dry.  I've had other "spiritual" activities, but my daily devotions have been lacking. 
Perhaps the issue is that I know there are things I should be doing: dieting and exercising, but I struggle to get into either one.  Perhaps God has gone silent on other issues until I pick up these and get on with them. 
One thing I know for sure: I don't really want to do either one.  I want to lose some weight and feel better, but I don't want to invest the work its going to take to get it done.  Its funny.  I'm not lazy about taking on big projects at work or around the house or even at church.  These two issues, however, have been a lifelong struggle and I really don't want to hear about them.  Obviously I lack discipline, but I don't want to admit it, so maybe that's why I'm avoiding the computer.  Maybe I need some daily encouragement or a knot on the head, but I feel like I would not react positively to either. 
I hope you and Julie have a trouble-free and much more importantly a pleasant time together this weekend at Blue Lake.  Looking forward to a weekend of regular interaction with Reed and Jack. I hope they will basically just hang out over here - they're fun to be around.

2 comments:

Chris said...

"I feel like I would not react positively to either." I've decided that no one truly likes accountability. We simply want to be our own authority and do what we want to do! ... Dang sin nature. ... It is just inside and it burrows stubbornly in and won't budge. I may not want it there, but I may not want to fight it either. Grrr.

Yet, without that interior struggle, I'm not sure I would rejoice in joy when Jesus reaches in and removes it. How can I be grateful and thankful and desperate for Christ if I am unwilling to fall on my knees under the weight of my need? Oh how I need a Savior!!

Dear Jesus, grab our hearts and pluck out the buckshots of sin stuck in there. Heal us and make us whole again!!

Unknown said...

Amen