Wednesday, July 2, 2014

What good is it for me to pray?

James 5:16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.
Lord, you know I've often wondered "then what about MY prayers - what good are they?"  Yet, as unholy and unrighteous as I am, you are more than sufficient to meet my needs for grace and by your sacrifice am I righteous.  Therefore I offer thanks for the greatest gift of family and friends that are as close as family.  When I ponder the wondrous gift of them I understand why you relegate gold to simple pavement in heaven as it pales in comparison to the benefits of love given and received.  I ask that you bless those nearest me today in a special way.  I thank you that Chris and Julie have opted to fight for their family instead of capitulating to defeat in the hands of the evil one.  Lord the fight is just that, however, and some days seems unwinnable, intolerable, useless, and unaccomplishable.  Yet you have called them to this battle and in my head I know you are able, but at times I know that in their body and minds they grow weary and weak from the long struggle.  Pour out your grace today in miraculous portion that spirit may be freshened such that they are renewed in mind and body.  May your mercy overwhelm feelings of anger, bitterness, rage, and intolerance.  May your patience restore peace, harmony, and solitude.  May you reign such that every movement, word, and deed is inspired by your perfect grace such that confidence and trust are restored and real healing may continue.  You alone are able.  Nothing can be said or done by others to bring real healing.  I put my trust and confidence in your ability to overwhelm what Satan intends for eternal evil such that you are glorified through increased faith.  May all of our children see us fully rely and trust you, become more like you, and they become inspired themselves to follow you. 
In the confidence that your words will not return without accomplishing their purpose and in the name of the one who gives these words power and effectiveness.  Amen

1 comment:

Chris said...

"What good is it for me to pray?" Definitely a question we've all asked.

In his book, Proof Of Heaven, Dr. Eben Alexander describes seeing people bowed around him as he was in his near death experience. He remembers the faces of those people bowed around him and later, after he woke up, realized that they were the people praying for him. So, this indicates to me that as a prayer is said, the person praying is spiritually in heaven, where God dwells. These are not empty words bouncing off the walls!!