Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Be Healed and Follow

21 To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in His steps.  22 “He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in His mouth.”

23 When they hurled their insults at Him, He did not retaliate; when He suffered, he made no threats. Instead, He entrusted himself to Him who judges justly. 24 “He himself bore our sins” in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; “by His wounds you have been healed.” - 1 Peter 2:21-24

There are too many lessons in these few verses it seems upon first reading. 
  • We were called "to this", which is described in verses 19 as enduring unjust suffering because you know God and seek to follow Him. 
We are called to this.  In other words, it is going to happen.  Just as Jesus was led and drove into the wilderness to be tempted, we are called to endure suffering for our non-wrong doing simply because we know God and follow Him.  Just before being led into the wilderness, God had reassured Jesus as His beloved Son, in whom He is well pleased.  It isn't something that isn't going to happen.  It is a "when" it is going to happen.  We do this because Christ suffered for us and we seek to "follow in His steps".  We are not simply to sit by His path to crucifixion and applaud and be thankful, but follow in it.
  • Jesus did not threaten His accusers and abusers with His judgment.  "He did not retaliate."
"That's a hard rule" as the comedian Brian Regan would say.  But I want to retaliate!  They deserve to be punished. ... Yet, He did not and if I want to follow in His steps, I should do the same.  Jesus "entrusted Himself to Him who judges justly".   May I be willing to allow myself and actions to be judged by Jesus and let everyone else do the same.  Just as when I give to the church or a cause as I'm led to do (the money is out of my hand once given), and then it becomes the responsibility of those I gave to do what they're led (or not) to do.  I need to give to my growth as I'm led to do and let others  be led or not, follow Him or not follow Him; that is between them and God.  But be sure that every knee and every head will bow before Jesus one day.
  • We are to die to sins and live for righteousness.
There is no need for us to carry around our sins when He has bore them on the cross.  If I carry my sin around then I reject the work of Christ.  Why would I carry something that He has already carried?  I need to let it go; He has already got it.  Whether I accept that Christ has carried my sin for me or not, He has already carried it.  Maybe I didn't want Him to have something so ugly, so disgusting, so vile, but He already took it.  Because of His work, I can live to do good works, where good is defined as Godly.  If Christ is bearing my burden, then I can bear another's burden.  And I can tell others how Christ can bear their burden.
  • We have been healed, by His wounds.
Christ's suffering and death have healed us from the wounds of our sins which sentenced us to a permanent spiritual and physical death.  This truth sets us free from our burdens, if we allow for it to do so.  Am I willing to accept God's work and be healed?  Am I willing to be forgiven?  Am I willing to let God judge others?  Am I willing to love where He has put me?  To accept the charge given to me?  To be grateful just to be in His view and considered by Him?  ...  I need to be healed in every way at every level by the miraculous shed blood of Jesus Christ.

No comments: