Monday, January 30, 2017

Spirit Teacher


I’ve written to warn you about those who are trying to deceive you. But they’re no match for what is embedded deeply within you—Christ’s anointing, no less! You don’t need any of their so-called teaching. Christ’s anointing teaches you the truth on everything you need to know about yourself and Him, uncontaminated by a single lie. Live deeply in what you were taught. – 1 John 2:26-27 (MSG)

John is writing (or preaching) to the Christian Ephesians who were being taught and influenced by those who opposed Christ.  He says here that they have the Holy Spirit within them and that they can be led by that Spirit who will not lie and is the truth Himself.

J. Vernon McGee says in his commentary that, “we ought to get to the place where the Spirit of God is our Teacher.”  I understand and have experienced this much throughout the years.  Whether it was hearing a speaker and being very uneasy or uncomfortable about his teachings and not knowing why, but knowing not to listen to him again, or if it was hearing the Bible text and a teacher’s input and also having a revelation of wisdom that I knew applied directly to me.  The Spirit has walked with me and taught me.

However, there comes a time when it is difficult to listen to the Pastor’s sermons.  I don't mean it's bad as I always like to listen to Godly messages.  They seem, and I say this in a hopefully non-prideful manner, too shallow.  I’m not saying there isn’t good in them, there is, and I also understand the necessity to sometimes preach short messages.  Many people get bored quickly and will stop listening if it’s too “deep”.  I completely understand.  Yet in the absence of any type of available deeper Bible study, it makes the sermons a chore too often.

THIS is what I think Dr. McGee is referring too as well, at least for me.  I blamed my church and Pastors for too long over this wondering why they didn't have deeper studies.  The danger is if anyone stops listening because they've "heard it all before".  Hey, the Spirit is your Teacher, dedicate the time daily to pray, read, and study.  Reflect on it and see what new things the Lord will bring.  I find that when I can do this, that there is so much I do not know.  How little I understand God and His Word.  They are never-ending and eternal.  

It is difficult because it takes discipline and resources.  Real discipline.  Discipline to set aside the time, discipline to listen to the Spirit, discipline to be introspective to see where His Word applies to a broken sinful man.  And it takes resources.  Time must be set aside, lots of it.  It takes a lot more time to study than to sit in a class.  It takes commentaries, lots of them, to get as much as you can from each passage of Scripture.

Each of us should seek our lessons daily from the anointing of Christ, to walk in His Spirit at all times and be willing to be taught from His truth.

No comments: