Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Bad Intentions

Yesterday was a real bummer.  I discovered that my Mom has been in the same town I live in for several days staying with my brother and purposely not revealing it.  The real fact is, we knew she was in town because my brother’s ex-wife, whom we maintain very limited contact with, had unexpectedly asked if knew.  So, that’s how a son learns that his Mom has come to town, from his brother’s ex-wife.  Knowing this, I purposely sent emails and called to give her every opportunity to reveal this honestly to me.  She didn’t.  However, once it became to where she couldn’t hide it anymore, she decided to embrace it and spin it off like it was all a big misunderstanding.  … Can’t you just feel the love?

I would be surprised except she is staying with my brother, who has repeatedly done the exact same thing for years now.  It is my observation that he will do or say anything to save his ego.  He might not stare you in the face and lie, but he will purposely not tell the truth.  Which is the same as lying in case anyone reading this is in doubt.  This is the whole President Bill Clinton sex scandal right?  He said he didn’t have sex with that woman, but he did have sexual relations with her.  So, was he lying?  The intention to not reveal a truth is a lie, whether technically factual or not.  It is a moral standard that Christians should live by, like my brother and Mother. 

My observation is that everyone who intends to lie or hide a truth does the same basic things.  First they deny, deny, deny, then they accuse, accuse, accuse, and then they call you names.  Finally, they just pretend it didn’t happen.  It was all a figment of your imagination and you are just seeing it all wrong.  My brother has done these same steps over and over.  Now my Mother is doing it.  On a national stage, the Democrats do it and are very expert at it.  The intention is to get you, the one who is trying to hold them accountable for their unmoral behavior, to be defensive.  As soon as you are defensive, it is you who was wrong, not them and the focus is now on you when it should be on their actions.  It is an obvious strategy, but it is also effective if you don’t pay attention to it as it happens.

I wrote back in April a devotion named Staying Sober.  It describes how someone can get so caught up in sin and not be able to see their way out.  I think the habit of lying or intentionally hiding truth to protect your own ego and pride is such a sin. 

Today I can only say that even with much prayer I have no idea what to do with this.  However, the picture is very obvious to me.  I’m not a part of their family, at least right now.  I’ve also been told she hasn’t done anything wrong and it’s all my fault.  That’s the message my Mom sent me upon my asking her to explain why she would do this.  It was the same message my brother would answer.  I guess those drunk in sin “have each other’s backs”.

I pray God will reveal something. … Or maybe He just has.

No comments: