Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Sailing


Today’s thought in The Book of Mysteries by Jonathan Cahn describes the Hebrew word “ruach”.  The idea is that the Holy Spirit is a wind and we can walk against it or with it.  If we walk with it, it is a gentle breeze and a help to our efforts.  If we walk against it, it is a drag to us and an opposition that will wear us down.

Interesting concept and one that I’ll admit I’ve experienced before.  When you are walking with the Spirit, you see His work all around.  When you aren’t walking with the Spirit, everything seems out-of-place and even the simple things are difficult.  That said, I’d like to take this a step further.  There is too much thought in this with regards to my own efforts. 

If I follow the lesson from Day 1 in this book and focus on being an open vessel, then I should open the lid of my vessel so much that it is a sail.  God’s wind will then propel me to where He wants me to go and with His timing and speed.  My efforts will solely be a result of His and thus, anything that happens will be because of Him.  I sincerely believe this is what God wants in our lives.  Wherever we end up and when we get there is from the Holy Spirit.

The difficult part of this is finding a real world application to the concept.  What do I do today that will help me open myself up so that I’m a sail ready for the wind of the Holy Spirit to take me wherever He wills me to go?  The answer 95% of the time is prayer and reading God’s Word.  While I agree that these are important and can’t be dismissed, I also think we must take careful inventory inside our hearts to find those things we don’t believe and trust God with.  I have yet to meet someone who hasn’t disagreed with God’s Word about something.  It is important to know that in every instance we decide we know better than what God says, we are in unbelief and are not trusting Him – our sail is not open as full as it should be.  I further think we should inventory our fears.  Everywhere we have some fear or doubt, we should address it and find a way to be full of faith in its regard.  Addressing our areas of unbelief and fear will help us to open our sail to catch God’s Spirit.

No comments: