Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Just Say No

Below is a video of Billy Graham's sermon entitled, "Just Say No".  Back in the '80s this was a slogan to youth referring to "just say no" to drugs.  

I'm not sure if it's in this sermon or not, but Billy Graham is quoted as saying,

"A child who is allowed to be disrespectful to his parents will not have true respect for anyone."

It's hard to overlook this in today's society.  Unfortunately, the most disrespectful kids I know are church staff kids whose parents refuse to discipline their kids.  I find it incredibly difficult to understand this lack of action by these parents.  On the other side, when I coached youth in our city, it was the absent parents.  They just weren't around.  It's hard for youth to respect them when they are not there as a parent.

"When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost." 

Having the courage to take a stand is important.  It doesn't matter how many times you've fallen before, take a stand now!  It's not to late to claim your character.  I find that I ask myself, who is living that is not better because I lived?  Who have I hurt and made life worse by simply being alive?  Even though I've made terrible decisions at times, Jesus found me in it and I took a stand for Him and He wants people to have better lives, through me.  Jesus has to take a stand now in me because it's all I've got.  There is nothing else.

"Courage is contagious. When a brave man takes a stand, the spines of others are often stiffened."

The witness of strong people taking stands, saying no to sin or yes to service, is most definitely contagious.  People are attracted to strength.  I think this is why so many would come out  to see Billy Graham, he always preached unapologetically and with conviction.  Something we rarely see today.



No comments: