Wednesday, May 18, 2016

True Love

John 8: 11She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said, “Neither do I condemn you; go, and from now on sin no more.”

If one rages against sin, then it seems one should address treatment of the sinner.  Yesterday, I briefly address the preposterous letter from the Obama administration regarding transgender treatment in public schools.  I feel obligated to address those who are sinners, ie all of us!
I note with interest that in John ch 8 in the failed attempt to trap Jesus by the Pharisees that he did not condemn the woman, but he did tell her to go and sin no more.  In this case, condemnation meant physical death by stoning.  That physical death would have taken away that woman's ability to choose to love God via obedience.  Instead, Jesus tells everyone without sin to stand in judgement which drives everyone to inspect their own lives and realize they are really no better than this woman of ill-repute.  So, finding no-one to stone her, Jesus offers her the opportunity to choose this day to love God by obeying him (sin no more). 
Scripture says it best:


John 14:15  "If you love me, keep my commands.
1 John 5:3  In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome,
2 John 1:6 And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love.
So as Christians if we love our neighbors, we should be encouraging them to demonstrate their love for God by obeying His commands.  This is in direct argument against those who believe love means acceptance of whatever behavior one demands.  In fact, acceptance of sin is to fail at loving your neighbor.  Don't believe me?  If I saw a neighbors young child playing in the street, would I love that child by accepting that behavior?  No!  I would be complicit in placing that child in danger.  Instead, love demands that I remove the child from danger and encourage them to stay out of the street.  This is simple to understand, yet we fail to apply it to "adults" who insist on living whatever lifestyle of sin they choose and claim I don't love them if I confront a choice inconsistent with obedience to God. 
Finally, many people are so demanding that I accept them they fail to realize they are not loving me.  What do I mean?  For someone to demand I accept something that is contrary to scripture is to violate my rights and worship as I see fit.  2 John 5:2 says "This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands."  For someone to demand that I lay aside my beliefs to accept their lifestyle is to establish a double standard which God says also dishonors him. 
We are to love God and love His people.  We are not called to condemn his people, but allowing someone to live a sinful lifestyle is to allow them self-condemnation.  We don't love someone by allowing them to condemn themselves.  While I'm not called to be everyone's accountability partner, I am called to demonstrate my love for God by ensuring that I obey His commands and encouraging others to do the same.  Acceptance of behavior is not in any form an aspect of love. 

No comments: