Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Save Me with Your Strength


Arrogant foes are attacking me, O God;
    ruthless people are trying to kill me—
    they have no regard for you.
But you, Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God,
    slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness.
Turn to me and have mercy on me;
    show your strength in behalf of your servant;
save me, because I serve you
    just as my mother did.
Give me a sign of your goodness,
    that my enemies may see it and be put to shame,
    for you, Lord, have helped me and comforted me. – Psalm 86:14-17

Have you ever felt like the whole world was attacking you?  It seems everywhere on every side there was something not going right, or worse, it was purposely directed towards you.  I don’t know a single person who hasn’t felt that way at some time.  I have found myself praying at times for relief and only relief.  I am embarrassed to say I found I didn’t really care how things went away, but I just had to have some relief.  Sometimes we feel that life is too much and overwhelming and we plead to God to save us from it all.  It is like the old Calgon commercial where the person would say in the midst of a terrible day, “Calgon take me away”, and they would instantly be in a hot bath with soap bubbles resting comfortably away from those stresses of the day.  I believe that most of us, including myself, too often want this type of relief from our stresses and pain.   I think a more honorable and better prayer would be for strength to stay in the fight.

David confesses to God what God already knows, people are trying to kill him.  David takes the moment to clarify to God that these people have no regard for God in their heart.  David then pleads for God to put His eyes on him, have mercy on him, and show His strength on his behalf.  He asks God to save him.  David prays for God to give him what he doesn’t deserve.  He asks for God’s mercy to be shown through His strength on his own behalf.  He asks God to show a sign of goodness to him so his enemies, which are also the enemies of God as they do not acknowledge Him as God, will be put to shame as they plainly see God is with him and helps him.  

Samson's last prayer was for strength.  With his eyes gouged out he was put on public display for ridicule by his enemies to honor their false god and this after being betrayed from a false love, he prayed for strength.  He did not pray to just be taken away from the pain and humiliation.  He prayed for strength one more time so he could destroy the Lord's and his enemies.

David is continuing the theme in the prayer of God helping him so God will get the glory and praise.  Also, David does not pray for the fight to end, but for God’s strength and favor to be revealed to those who turn to Him.  David wants to succeed in the fight so God can be praised and everyone who doesn’t believe will know God did this.  He acknowledges that it is God and God alone who can save him and he prays for God to show His strength so God’s name will be glorified. 

When good things happen, we should be ready and willing to show how great God is for what He has done for us.  This is easy actually.  But when bad things happen, how ready and willing are we to be excited knowing God will use this to show Himself in a mighty way to someone?  Do we look for every opportunity in every person to see how God can show Himself in a great way to them through our trials?  This is an incredibly hard thing to do and attitude to have.  But that doesn’t mean it’s the wrong one to have.  Then, when we are delivered, we can testify to everyone how God delivered us and they can see how our faith in knowing He would deliver us was answered.  Hopefully, this might lead someone to believe.

No comments: