Thursday, December 17, 2015

Its all about ME

Col 3:1 Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.

This is the season of me.  Its all about me.  My focus is on what I want for Christmas, how much I have to do before Christmas, why I can't get a break, what I want to give others, and what I want to do if and when I actually get a break from work I have to do and chores I want done around my house.  Nine references to me in a single sentence.  I should have tried harder, so here's some more: I'm beyond tired, I'm burned out, I'm not in the Christmas spirit, and I feel guilty about it all.
I'm also mature enough that I know I've brought this on myself.  Clearly I need a different approach to get out of this cesspool of self-centeredness and self-pity. 
When Jesus came to earth, he came to simplify the complexities of the law to two simple things that even I could wrap my brain around:  we are to love GOD with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength, and love others as ourselves (Matt 22:37-40).  Is it possible my own myopic focus on myself is causing me to spiral down into a state of seasonal depression that I know God didn't intend and certainly didn't thrust upon me. 
Perhaps if I simply demonstrate my love for God by following his commands (John 14:15) a change in focus will change my heart and mind.  I need to change my focus on God and how to better love Him and His people (1 John 5:2). 
God forgive me for my self-centeredness especially in this of all seasons where we remember and celebrate not what we've done for ourselves or even for you, but what YOU did and continue to do for each of us.  As I attempt to shift my focus from the mountains of desires and issues in life to you, may I revel in all that you've already blessed my with and use all of those blessings to be a blessing to others. 

1 comment:

Chris said...

As I left for work yesterday and saw your wife's, daughter's, and son's cars in the driveway with yours absent, I considered that you were anxious to get home to enjoy the time with them. Obviously it could be the last time they are all in your home for such a length of time. Knowing you are aware of that I figured you were probably feeling guilty about it. Therefore, you were lifted up in prayer and you still are. I pray God will give you the most precious and personal moments with your family you've ever had and that He blesses each day of this season with more than you can contain.