Friday, December 18, 2015

Jesus Knows how to Recharge

John 4:6  Jacob's well was there, and Jesus, tired as he was from the journey, sat down by the well. It was about noon.

There is much debate in social media these days about whether Muslims and Christians worship the same God.  Franklin Graham published an excellent brief expose pointing out that salvation for a Muslim is assured by dying for Allah, while the God of the Bible sent us himself in the form of Jesus to die in our place.  What other religion worships a God who sacrificed Himself in pursuit of a relationship with mankind?
I'm  comforted today knowing that Jesus cam and dwelt among us.  He felt weariness just as I feel currently.  Interestingly, however, His solution wasn't to totally withdraw from His mission, but to always be sensitive to the needs of others.  In this case, Jesus had sent His disciples in search of sustenance while he rested beside Jacob's well.  When someone desperately in need of salvation appeared, Jesus ministered to her needs.  Upon their return, the disciples found Jesus refreshed and reenergized as He engaged the Samaritan woman.  It's noteworthy to me, by the way, that Jesus sermon was one of harsh accountability, yet the woman marveled at His rebuke and His claim to be the Messiah. 
Verse 34 gives us the key to refreshment:  "Jesus said to them, “My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to accomplish his work."  May I remember this lesson during this season of self-centeredness, and be sensitive to seek true refreshment through obedience to a God who pursues me. 

1 comment:

Chris said...

Excellent thoughts. I find that tiredness reflects the true desires of our heart. Too often in my tiredness and selfishness I complain that I have to go do this or that, whereas Jesus in His tiredness and non-selfishness was ready to witness to the woman. I am quite sure I would have sit there silently and tried not to make eye contact so she wouldn't speak to me. I should be ready at all times and see all opportunities to witness to others as a reward, not a work effort.