Monday, June 19, 2017

Revelation 2:24-29 - Thyatira


24 Now I say to the rest of you in Thyatira, to you who do not hold to her teaching and have not learned Satan’s so-called deep secrets, ‘I will not impose any other burden on you, 25 except to hold on to what you have until I come.’

This suggest that there was a division in the church. That there were two factions. There were those who followed Jesus and there where those who partook in following this Jezebel. Can you imagine a person who has two heads with each head trying to control the body? How uncoordinated and what a spectacle such a person would be! Also, how insignificant such a person would be other than a sideshow attraction. Jesus tells us here that there are those in that church who do not follow her teaching and they are expected to hold onto what they are following.

At the middle of verse 24, is that sarcasm? Jesus has already made a reference to giving a false leader who leads Christians into sexual immorality a bed of suffering, now makes what I read as a completely sarcastic remark regarding the wisdom of this woman. “And have not learned Satan’s so-called deep secrets.” This hint of sarcasm only appears in the NIV Bible. Other versions simply plainly say deeper truths or depths of Satan. The idea is that these “enlightened” people believe that they have some kind of new wisdom and they want everyone to see their understanding, yet it is really a lack of understanding and they are simply spreading foolishness as it opposes the Words of the all-knowing God, the creator of all that is or ever will be.

26 To the one who is victorious and does my will to the end, I will give authority over the nations— 27 that one ‘will rule them with an iron scepter and will dash them to pieces like pottery’—just as I have received authority from my Father.

This is a quote from Psalms 2:8-9. However, I think it is relevant to read all of Psalms 2 to grasp what the intent of the quote represents.

Psalm 2
1 Why are the nations so angry? Why do they waste their time with futile plans?
2 The kings of the earth prepare for battle; the rulers plot together against the Lord and against his anointed one.
3 “Let us break their chains,” they cry, “and free ourselves from slavery to God.”
4 But the one who rules in heaven laughs. The Lord scoffs at them.
5 Then in anger he rebukes them, terrifying them with his fierce fury.
6 For the Lord declares, “I have placed my chosen king on the throne in Zion, on my holy mountain.”
7 The king proclaims the Lord’s decree: “The Lord said to me, ‘You are my son. Today I have become your Father.
8 Only ask, and I will give you the nations as your inheritance, the whole earth as your possession.
9 You will rule them with an iron rod and smash them like clay pots.’”
10 Now then, you kings, act wisely! Be warned, you rulers of the earth!
11 Serve the Lord with reverent fear, and rejoice with trembling.
12 Submit to God’s royal son, or he will become angry, and you will be destroyed in the midst of all your activities— for his anger flares up in an instant. But what joy for all who take refuge in him!


This follows our reference above regarding the so-called deeper truths of Satan. The evil see knowledge and reality of God as slavery, not salvation. They insist that slavery is bad, so all of you who believe and follow are simple-minded. True freedom is making your own rules and being who you want to be, not what you were created to be and do.

So, they are angry, they make plans and they prepare for battle to war against those who follow the One true living God and against God Himself. Yet, the Lord laughs because they believe they have power and wisdom when He alone has power and wisdom and has tried to share it and give it freely to anyone who would receive it. However, the Lord has an intense fury towards those who believe they are gods and His Son is set to rule them with all authority and power. … This is where the reference in Revelation quotes. This Psalm is like a road map of how we got to this confrontation between those who do not follow God and Jesus. The Psalm continues. … So be wise and be warned if you do not follow Jesus. Submit today lest when you are unaware you are destroyed. But knowing that Jesus sits in such authority and power is joy for His followers.

In verse 27, Jesus seems to say that those who hold onto His Words and follow Him, those will share in His rule just as the Father has given Him to rule. You are not a mindless servant, a slave as those who lack understanding have said, but a partaker with Him. Jesus said in John 15:

10 When you obey my commandments, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Father’s commandments and remain in his love. 11 I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow! 12 This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you. 13 There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command. 15 I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesn’t confide in his slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me.

Jesus tells us that He doesn’t call us slaves, but friends. He does what the Father says and He is telling us to do that as well and that this will fill our joy!

28 I will also give that one the morning star. 29 Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.

Revelation 22:16, Jesus reveals that He is the morning star. Jesus promises that those who hold on and follow Him in midst of false teaching, even in the church, that that one will be with Him.

No comments: