Thursday, September 29, 2016

Relevance of the Law

In a recent conversation I learned that a long-standing teacher in our church was concerned over how they anticipated one of the older adult students would comment in their class.  He knew he would be discussing the Old Testament and knew the student would comment on how the Old Testament was no longer relevant.  This position is necessary if you want to believe that somehow the Bible doesn’t actually say that sexually immoral people, particularly homosexuals, are sinning. 

God’s law was given so that all people could see how sinful they were. But as people sinned more and more, God’s wonderful grace became more abundant. – Romans 5:20 (NLT)

All that passing laws against sin did was produce more lawbreakers. But sin didn’t, and doesn’t, have a chance in competition with the aggressive forgiveness we call grace. When it’s sin versus grace, grace wins hands down. – Romans 5:20 (The Message)

I find it remarkable that people want to use the Bible like a buffet.  They want to choose what they want to eat (believe in).  The problem with this type of belief is you are still the god.  If I appoint myself as qualified with my what I believe to be superior intelligence and wisdom so as to be able to read the Bible, the Word of the Living Lord, and decide which parts apply to me in today’s society and which ones do not, then I am the god of my life.  The one true living God is not my Lord.  And as long as I am the god of my life, I will never be fully convicted of all the sin in my life and will therefore, not see the desperate need I have to repent.

In Romans 5:20 we are told that the purpose of the law was to show us our sin.  Isn’t it obvious then that the one thing someone who wants to dismiss the law wants is to not be shown how what they are doing is sin?  Rather than accept the Lordship of God in their life and humbly submit to His commands, they would prefer to simply say that a portion of His Words are not relevant.  The remarkable part of this conversation is that such a person will argue that they are following God!

Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves Me will obey My teaching. My Father will love them, and We will come to them and make Our home with them.  Anyone who does not love Me will not obey My teaching. These words you hear are not My own; they belong to the Father who sent Me.  – John 14:23-24 (NIV)

Don’t misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the Law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose.  …  If you ignore the least commandment and teach others to do the same, you will be called the least in the Kingdom of Heaven. But anyone who obeys God’s laws and teaches them will be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven.  – Matthew 5:17,19 (NLT)

A person who chooses what they want to believe simply does not love God with their whole heart.  No matter how convinced they are that they are doing what God wants them to do regarding accepting sexually immoral activity, they are really opposing the teachings of Jesus Himself.  It is very sad to see Pastors who are willing to do this.  Their purpose is to preach the Person of Jesus, who is the only Truth, to the world.  Yet they do not accept the Truth in His entirety, so they fail at their only vocation.  These are truly dangerous times. 

But there were also false prophets in Israel, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will cleverly teach destructive heresies … Many will follow their evil teaching and shameful immorality. And because of these teachers, the way of truth will be slandered. … They promise freedom, but they themselves are slaves of sin and corruption. For you are a slave to whatever controls you. – 2 Peter 2:1,2,19

They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. Stay away from people like that! – 2 Timothy 3:5 (NLT)

Pray today for those who are ruled by sexually immorality and those who are being taken off the path of following Jesus as a result to support them.  Pray for God’s Spirit to conquer them so that He can take His rightful place as the only Lord in their life.

No comments: