Thursday, September 27, 2018

Be Strengthened in the Lord Your God



Now David was greatly distressed, for the people spoke of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and his daughters. But David strengthened himself in the Lord his God. – 1 Samuel 30:6

David and his men came back to their city and it was burned, all their wives, sons, and daughters had been taken.  David and his men were very burdened by this.  In verse 4, there is very strong language that probably isn’t stated strong enough.  The NRSV says that “David and the people with him raised their voices and wept, until they had no more strength to weep.  The Message says that the men were “exhausted with weeping”.  Obviously, they all considered their families to have been hurt, abused, or dead.

Once they stopped grieving, they got angry.  Their anger turned on David.

We read that David was “greatly distressed” for two reasons.  One, he had lost the confidence of the people.  Two, the soul of all the people were terribly grieved for their families.  David cares deeply for the people.  I also believe that as their leader he was hurt that he had led them to such pain.  He knew he was God’s appointed and as such, it would have been greatly discerning that the people might turn away from God.

Yet, in the midst of this pain, exhaustion, grief, and personal attack, David does what we must learn to do, strengthen ourselves in the Lord our God.  He drew closer to God.  Notice that we are told clearly here that the Lord is David’s personal God, “the Lord his God”.  Is the Lord your God?  Do you have a close personal relationship with Him?  Can you turn to Him at any time and know the presence of the Lord is with you?

David is recorded in Psalms 18:

I will love You, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised; so shall I be saved from my enemies.

The pangs of death surrounded me, and the floods of ungodliness made me afraid. The sorrows of Sheol surrounded me; the snares of death confronted me. In my distress I called upon the Lord, and cried out to my God; He heard my voice from His temple, and my cry came before Him, even to His ears. (vs 1-6)

He sent from above, He took me; He drew me out of many waters. He delivered me from my strong enemy, from those who hated me, for they were too strong for me. They confronted me in the day of my calamity, but the Lord was my support. He also brought me out into a broad place; He delivered me because He delighted in me. (vs 16-19)

David’s testimony and witness is that the Lord rescued him.  The Lord was there when David was drowning.  The Lord in His high place (“even to His ears”) heard a humble David’s plee.  The perfect Father “delivered me because He delighted in me”.  The Lord delights in His children and has His Hand in all things in our life so we may grow if we are willing in our knowledge and faith of Him.

Draw close to God today in whatever trials beset you.  Trust in the Lord and the Lord alone and know He does not leave you to yourself.

No comments: