Tuesday, August 23, 2016

My Foot Slips


If I say, “My foot slips,” Your mercy, O Lord, will hold me up.  In the multitude of my anxieties within me, Your comforts delight my soul. – Psalms 94:18-19

What a trivial thing it seems to me to say to the Lord, “my foot is slipping”.  Yet we are reminded in this Psalm that God’s mercy holds us up even over trivial things.  We all have anxieties and worries.  Even when we are constantly reminding ourselves of how God has rescued us from much worse events or situations that we are currently in, we often still find some anxieties.  This Psalm reminds us that our God is a comfort to our soul when we are muddling in those anxieties.

I am reminded of Peter who had gotten out of the boat to go to Jesus.  He had asked Jesus to command Him to come to Him on the water and Jesus had said, “Come.”  He got out and walked on the water!  But in the wind and waves of the water he became afraid.  He took his eyes off Jesus and thought about what he was doing, not on what Jesus was doing, and he started to sink.  “Lord, save me!” he cried.  And Jesus did so.

Maybe we’re in a storm of uncertainty today.  Maybe we’re just unsure where we even are or where we’re going.  Maybe we’re uncertain of how to care for ourselves or those around us.  Maybe we’re uncertain on how to communicate to others or where we should focus our efforts.  And on and on our uncertainties can go.  We don’t know what tomorrow brings and we are anxious.

30 God’s way is perfect.
    All the Lord’s promises prove true.
    He is a shield for all who look to him for protection.
31 For who is God except the Lord?
    Who but our God is a solid rock?
32 God arms me with strength,
    and he makes my way perfect.
33 He makes me as surefooted as a deer,
    enabling me to stand on mountain heights.
34 He trains my hands for battle;
    he strengthens my arm to draw a bronze bow.
35 You have given me your shield of victory.
    Your right hand supports me;
    your help has made me great.
36 You have made a wide path for my feet
    to keep them from slipping.
– Psalms 18: 30-36

Our Father says that He is with us; He is for us; He will never forsake us; and He will not leave us.  Our Father is not anxious about our circumstance for He has all power forever and ever.  However, I often wonder if He isn’t like a coach, rooting for us and encouraging us to have that necessary faith in Him.  “C’mon, you can trust Me.  I got this.  Go ahead and let it go and let joy take you heart once again.  You can do this!”  We are told here that He makes us surefooted and He keeps us from slipping.  I pray that we trust in God fully and put our circumstance into His very perfect strong supportive hands.

Trust in God today, even for the smallest of slips of your foot.  Have faith and let those anxieties go.

No comments: