Sunday, April 17, 2016

It's not work, it's ministry

1 Peter 2:9 But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.

2 Cor 12:9  Each time he said, "My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness." So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me.

This is an incredibly busy time of year for me.  In addition to all that is going on at work, there are studies to transition workload to other centers, a high profile failure review to oversee, and annual appraisals for some 60 engineers.  I can delegate some things, but not all.  It seems that each day is a series of battles and I return home feeling absolutely whooped and have to plug in my laptop and get back to work.  Oh, and my laptop is being upgraded and I'm stuck between old and new, I'm migrating from a Blackberry to an iPhone which isn't fully working, and other computer accounts on base are being interrupted all slowing the information flow process.  Agh!  Why now of all times?
In times like these when things are frustrating and I just can't seem to catch up that at the end of the day, I often forget that in everything I do, people are affected by the decisions I make.  Whether its their annual performance appraisal which directly reflects their contribution to our mission or a program decision, people's lives and livelihood are affected.  Often, people in DoD care more about program decisions than their annual appraisals and any paltry award they might receive. 
So I always say there is a zero percent chance that I'm going to get things 100% correct.  Yet, I know The One who knows everything.  I pray for His sustaining grace to fall in abundance today because I simply am running out of energy and intellect to make the right decisions and get everything done correctly. 
As I go about my business it seems critically important to remember that my ultimate calling is to the priesthood.  I may build bombs for a living, but my calling is to minister to God's people.  May I remember a couple of cliché's:  We are to love people and use things and we are to minister to people and execute programs.  May I not get those backwards. 

No comments: